Difference between revisions of "Water Usage Statistics"
(→Water Costs per Person)
(→Water Usage Charts)
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
== Water Usage Charts==
== Water Usage Charts==
'''There were people in the building in '''
[[Image:Monthly Water Use
[[Image:Monthly Water Use .png|650px|thumb|left|Green Garage Monthly Water Usage - 2019]]
[[Image:Water Use per Person vs Ind Std
[[Image:Water Use per Person vs Ind Std .png|650px|thumb|left|Monthly Water Usage per Person Comparison - 2019 ]]
|Line 41:||Line 41:|
[[Image:Monthly Water Use vs Ind Std
[[Image:Monthly Water Use vs Ind Std .png|650px|thumb|left|Monthly Water Use Comparison - 2019 ]]
|Line 47:||Line 47:|
[[Image:Monthly Water Costs
[[Image:Monthly Water Costs .png|650px|thumb|left|Monthly Water Costs - - ]]
|Line 53:||Line 53:|
[[Image:Water Costs per Person
[[Image:Water Costs per Person .png|650px|thumb|left|Monthly Water Costs per Person - 2019 ]]
Revision as of 08:31, 12 May 2020
return to Measurement Pages
Our goal with water usage was to use water at a fraction of a level of a traditional commercial office building. We did this in a variety of ways, from selection of efficient plumbing fixtures to reduction of use of city water through the use of cisterns. Our data is below.
- 1 Measurement Decisions
- 2 Sources of Water
- 3 Uses of Water
- 4 Water Usage Charts
- 5 2019 Water Usage Charts
- 6 See Also
- The statistics come from our monthly City of Detroit water bills.
- Unit of measure = gallons (water dept measures in cu, where 1cu = 100 cubic feet = 728 gallons)
- 'Usage Per Person' is calculated based on the number of people that are in Businesses-in-Residence at the beginning of each month, plus the number of volunteers and paid contractors that work more than 2 days a week.
Sources of Water
- Our water comes from the City of Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, which gets its water from the Detroit River and Lake Huron.
- Water for outside use comes from 2 cisterns, one on top of our roof, and one under our parking lot. Together, they collect about 2,000 gallons of water.
Uses of Water
- 4 Toilets (@ 1.28 gal/flush)
- 5 Sinks
- 3 Bathroom (0.5 gal/min + automated)
- 1 Kitchen
- 1 Mop-basin
- 2 Dishwasher (4 gal / load)
- 1 Shower (2.5 gal/min shower head)
- Coffee / Drinking
- Outdoor watering. We harvest the water that we use for outdoor watering in 2 cisterns (1,700 gallons total) and only use city water when the other water is exhausted. Our goal is to use no city water for outdoor use.
Water Usage Charts
There were 93 people in the building in March 2020
- Studies show water usage per person per month in office space is between 300-500 gallons, so we are using about 1/10th of the water typically used in office buildings with similar numbers of people. sources: US Department of Energy Federal Office Building Water Efficiency Report and North Carolina Division of Water Quality