return to Living Building Design Studio
What is It?
- A transportation plan that encourages the use of public transportation and pedestrian transport at the GG.
- Also known as: transportation
Why is it Important?
Encouraging the use of alternative forms of transportation will:
- help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
- encourage a healthier lifestyle.
- help support our mass transit system.
- support our focus on equal opportunity and economic justice.
- promote a stronger community with programs like car share.
- help move us toward our goal: a One Earth pattern of living.
When to Use It?
- The transportation plan will be in effect from the time the building will open, and will be modified with real use.
- The plan will be considered sustainable by measuring transportation use among occupants/visitors and we reach our target goals.
- The plan will not be sustainable if people do not willingly adapt, but feel forced to make transportation changes. Real change will happen when people feel alternative transport is a better solution for them. Changing the mindset will be the biggest challenge.
Green Garage Use of a Transportation Plan
- 5% of the people (2) coming to the Green Garage will be walkers.
- 10% of the people (4) coming to the Green Garage will be bikers.
- 15% of the people (6) coming to the Green Garage will come by bus.
- 20% (8) will share a ride.
- 50% (20) will drive a car.
Strategy and Conceptual Design
- Education/Marketing: includes orientation sessions, periodic presentations, information hub on car sharing, initiation sessions on bus systems, assistance with bus routes.
- Make It Easy: includes showers, lockers, umbrella stands, indoor bike racks, bike pumps, development of car sharing site, conference room provided for teleconferencing.
- Incentives: includes charitable donation each time people walked or biked in, reduction of hours based on time on the road, SMART TransitCheck Flex Option, priority parking for car sharing.
- Measuring Results: includes number of participants and frequency of use, chart in GG listing modes of transport for GG users.
- Supporting science: We spent an afternoon with Nancy Shore of getDowntown Ann Arbor learning about their incentive programs. We also did quite a bit of research on GOOGLE and Michgan RideShare.
Proposed Materials / Suppliers
- Still to come.
The Transportation Plan - Development Story page contains many images and videos documenting the process used at the Green Garage to design, build and operate our Transportation Plan system.