Questions for the Solatube rep's visit
From Green Garage Detroit
This Tuesday at 2pm we're meeting with Solatube about the use of their products for the GG daylighting design. All are welcome.
- Given the unique nature of the GG buildings (e.g. barrel roof) what is the preferred location of the solatubes:
- Exterior - given the shading of the south side
- Interior given the trusses, ceilings, window locations
- Experience going through SIPS?
- What is the U-value of their products? (U=0.55 per DOE) What about the insulation shield?
- Is there any measurable heat gain from the end fixture itself, or just heat gain/loss where the hole is cut through the roof?
- How can we minimize the length of tubes in the building?
- Can one tube be split to multiple locations? If so, how many?
- How can we do multi-level lighting...mezzanine and below?
- How durable are they (the tubes) if they run down through the floor exposed on the mezzanine? Do they need to be protected or encapsulated at all?
- Do they have any models now or are they considering any that would integrate air handling with the Solatube, either as intake air or exhaust air?
- Are there any lenses that would be better, given the truss system may/will block some light?
- Do they have any prototype products they are looking to test somewhere that might be applicable?
- Can you integrate your artificial lighting with the Solatube units? If so, does it take away from the performance?
- If you have a room where you want to darken the lighting to show a film or something, how do you “turn the light off”. Is it dimmable at all by the occupant?
- What, if any, maintenance is required for the units? How do you clean them?
- How do you avoid snow buildup
- We'd like to integrate their product into an artistic kiosk in the center of the building...has anyone else done this?
- Photometrics Modeling
- Are the results ave, max, min
- What kind of sun exposure does it assume?
- What day of the year does it assume?
- What time of day does it assume?
- What geographic location and orientation does it assume?