From Green Garage Detroit
Revision as of 15:13, 1 March 2011 by Klyons15 (New page: <small>return to Living Building Design Studio</small> right === What is It? === ---- * Local restaurants are both a source of food for the Green Garage and ...)
return to Living Building Design Studio
What is It?
- Local restaurants are both a source of food for the Green Garage and also a way of participating in the local economy and culture.
Why is it Important?
Local restaurants to the Green Garage:
- Strengthen our relationship to the community.
- Help restore the planet's eco-systems, e.g. purchasing local foods to avoid more transportation of food.
- Encourage people to work cooperatively to manage the flow of food in to and out of the building and neighborhood.
- Promote the idea that good local food should be available to all.
- Operate within a One Earth pattern of living by encouraging less food waste, better choices for the planet, simplicity of use.
When to Use It?
- Our local restaurant system will be used on a continuous basis at the Green Garage.
- We will know the system is sustainable when people are comfortable with the system, when a small amount of garbage goes out every week (and that amount reduces over time), and when the amount of energy and water used is kept at minimal levels.
- The system would not be sustainable if people felt uncomfortable with the restaurants, food system or embarrassed by their food choices, or if the amount of energy/water used rose over time.
Green Garage Use of Food Management
Restaurants within walking distance
- Motor City Brewing Works
- Traffic Jam & Snug
- Bronx Bar
- Cass Cafe
- Avalon Bakery
- Goodwell's Market
- Union Street
- Honest John's
- The Potato Place
Restaurants outside of Midtown
- Le Petit Zinc
- Mi Pueblo
Related Internal Links
- Resources will include appliances selected, composting/recycling/trash system selected, selection of cabinets, sink, etc.
- Gather websites, menus and recommendations to fill in this page
- Edited by