Green Lodge Certification
- 1 Overview of Green Lodging Certification Programs
- 2 Green Lodging Certification Programs
- 2.1 Green Seal, US based certification
- 2.2 Michigan's voluntary hospitality guidelines
- 2.3 BREEAM, UK based international certification
- 2.4 EarthCheck, Australian based certification.
- 2.5 Audubon International Green Lodging Certification
- 2.6 White Paper on Greening Tourism Industry with a Caribbean Perspective
- 2.7 Green Tourism Business Scheme UK
- 2.8 Green Globe Certification
- 2.9 Sustainable Travel International STEP Program
Overview of Green Lodging Certification Programs
Green Lodging Certification Programs
Green Seal, US based certification
BREEAM, UK based international certification
EarthCheck, Australian based certification.
- Water Research Connected to Purdue University
Process: Environmental survey that reviews all operation areas, resulting in a preliminary eco-rating and report that outlines improvement rating steps. A site audit follows to verify and formalize the eco-rating.
Length: Six to eight weeks for survey. Eco-rating done within a year.
Price: 1-50 rooms, $350 first year; years 2 and 3 is $175. Revaluated every three years
Stated Benefits: Marketing. Saving money through operations and management. Third party verification.
Notes: General undertaking.
- Recognized internationally, and NY state uses it as the state’s Green Lodge certification process.
- Clean the World partnership program: Green Lodging guest can donate their used soap and room amenities to this non-profit program that then sanitized the used products and distributes the items to homeless shelters in North America, and to communities in less privileged countries
- Survey takes 3 – 4 hours to complete
- Uses an international checklist, less localized criteria
- Two other certification programs, Sustainable Communities and Green Neighborhoods, focus on localization. They involve residents and visitors to be active with green programs.
- Partners of the Environment is another localized program, however it involves only the business and not an outside community to tackle a green activity.
What does this mean for the El Moore?
- El Moore has to be in operation, not specifically the construction or design levels.
- Could inform design/operation procedures so we build in compliance
- The partnership non-profit is an avenue that can manage disposal of guest’s unused leftover body soap.
- An international benchmark; not specific to Detroit, or Michigan.
- The other two certification programs are viable to engage the Midtown community, or the El Moore’s corner block community.
- Intended El Moore activities can extend beyond the scope and/or criteria of these two localized certifications.
- The Mercure Holland House Hotel initiated a free bike rental program to guest and included safety devices and bike map. This affected the hotel's carbon impact and was projected to decreases vehicle motor congestion in the area.
- One Aldwych Hotel included a "Evac system (Scandinavian vacuum operated drainage system)" on all toilets, resulting in an average toilet water demand of "1–1.5 litres (as opposed to a standard flush of 6-7 litres)". This vacuum system also approximately uses 5 watts of electricity per room per flush.
Process: This certification implements an environmental management system. There are 5 levels, each recognizing specific steps a business has accomplished in sustainability efforts. Additionally, the levels progress a business to ISO 14001 (international environmental standards).
Length: Depends on ability for implementing each step.
Notes: Involved and intricate undertaking
- Level 1 promotes open dialog with all staff, and commitment by management.
- General monitoring procedures
- Other Green Dragon documents
- Hanfod Housing Association (Level 3) . Originated in 1968, now managing 3,500 homes in South East Wales. They communicate water management, promote social interaction and safety, facilitate tenant home swapping, the use of PV panels, and more.
What does this mean for the El Moore?
- UK and Northern Ireland specific certification; the El Moore may be ineligible, yet the internal steps can influence El Moore design and operations.