return to community guide
We've given a good amount of thought to a seemingly simple addition to our building: coffee service. What follows reflects our thinking about this area.
We're ordering our coffee from Coffee Express in Plymouth, MI. In addition to regular coffee, they also sell organic and fair trade coffee, which is what we purchase.
Organic coffee is coffee that has been grown according to organic standards, using no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizer. A natural system of pest control is encouraged. Often farms growing organic coffee practice socially responsible practices, such as recycling and composting. Because a large portion of organic coffee is shade grown, large amounts of forest land are preserved.
Fair trade coffee generally refers to fair working conditions for coffee workers around the world. The increased price of the coffee helps fund higher wages and healthier working conditions.Fair-trade coffee workers are required to be part of a co-op with other local coffee growers, and these co-ops help determine how excess profits will be spent. Workers are guaranteed a fair base wage, with a possibility to share in profits.
No coffee is grown locally in Michigan, but we order from a local supplier in Plymouth. As a bonus, our supplier delivers Thursdays to Motor City Brewing Works, and so they do not need to expend more gas getting to us.
In order to share the expense of the coffee in a fair way, we've devised the following system.
- We'll collect money for coffee the first of the month. You'll receive a reminder e-mail a few days ahead of time. If possible, it would be helpful for you to pay quarterly or semi-annually. Please pay Peggy by check (no cash). When you have paid, initial the months in which you have paid on the spreadsheet in the coffee box.
- Coffee charges:
- $10 per month for infrequent drinkers (5 cups or less per week)
- $20 per month for more regular drinkers (more than 5 cups per week)
- Peggy will pay for library volunteers
- Tom will pay for business volunteers
Sugar and half & half will be provided.
Please see Peggy to sign up for the Coffee Club - or if you have suggestions.