return to Living Building Design Studio
- 1 What is It?
- 2 Why is it Important?
- 3 When to Use It?
- 4 Green Garage Use of Building Security
- 5 Related Internal Links
- 6 Resources
- 7 To Do's
What is It?
- Building security refers to the plan developed by the Green Garage to provide a safe, secure environment to employees and guests.
Why is it Important?
At the Green Garage, it's important that people feel:
- a basic level of safety.
- trusted and respected.
- their work environment is secure and comfortable.
When to Use It?
- A security plan will be in effect at all times.
Green Garage Use of Building Security
- People will feel a basic level of safety working at the Green Garage.
- People will be trusted and respected at the Green Garage.
- People will participate in safety strategies while working at and visiting the Green Garage.
Strategy and Conceptual Design
Cameras (recording after hours)
- front outdoor
- back outdoor
- parking lot
- N annex wall (Ty's yard)
- indoor, starting 6 pm (2 at least)
- glass-break alarms (every window and front door)
- smoke alarms
- door alarms
- panic button (receptionist)
- individual panic alarms
- door alarm for indoor/outdoor room (some security)
- or camera on this area for receptionist
- security co may know
- indoor or outdoor shutters (winter considerations)
- window design
- small panes
- placement of opening
- window locks
- front glass door: glass break alarm
- dead bolts
- key pads on alley door and parking lot door
- welcome area sealed off by garden gates (wrought iron)
- alley will be lit
- backyard motion sensor lighting
- entranceway lit at night
- motion sensor lighting in parking lot
- locked desks
- locked tool cages
- indoor bike racks
- each business has locked small space
- person up front at all times
- visitors escorted by clients
- no one alone in building (?)
- lock down procedure at night
- security orientation
We worked with Ty, a man who lives next door who happens to be a Wayne State police officer. We met with him for a few hours, and discussed his security recommendations, in addition to his review of our own ideas.
Proposed Materials / Suppliers
- Still to come
The Building Security - Development Story page contains many images and videos documenting the process used at the Green Garage to design, build and operate our Building Security system.
Related Internal Links
- Links will come as we research security cameras, alarm systems, etc.